Lately cucumbers have been really cheap. My husband’s grandma used to make him cucumber and onions and since she has passed he has continued (year after year) asking me to make him some. I had no idea what he was talking about, so finally (after a few years) I gave it a try.
I am addicted!
This simple and inexpensive salad is simply fabulous! I just love the flavor and I finally understand why my husband loves it so much.
This salad is perfect for any BBQ, family gathering, or for a summer snack. Really… we keep this in our fridge all the time when I can get cucumbers cheap.
To make your life easy, make sure you buy a mandoline slicer (if you don’t have one yet). We just LOVE ours and it makes slicing cucumbers and onions a breeze. I can slice them all in half the time with my slicer.
It will stay good in the refrigerator for at least a week. I know it is really simple, but if you love cucumbers, you will love this easy salad. Oh and yes… we have been guilty of eating it directly out of the fridge.
How to make Cucumber onion salad:
- 2 to 3 cucumbers
- 1 onion
- 1 cup vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup of sugar (I have even done as low as ⅛ cup)
- Peel and slice the cucumbers (I like them thinly sliced)
- Slice the onions.
- In a container (with a lid) combine the water, vinegar, and sugar.
- Stir until combined.
- Add in the cucumbers and onions. Place lid on top and shake.
- Place in the refrigerator and let it cool for at least a few hours before eating.
- Eat with a fork... or your fingers!
Here are some other delicious recipe ideas: