I made the taco chicken recipe a soup and it was fabulous! My husband said this was one of his favorite soups, which says a a lot, because I can make some delicious soups. I personally love it because it is fool proof and very frugal friendly.
It is definitely a crockpot type of day, so I thought I would share.
Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Soup
We have made it several times before so the family was excited I was making it again. My kids like the “white beans” because they are softer then regular beans. If your family doesn’t like beans, smash them up before you put them in the soup. You will get the protein without anyone know they are in there. Win-win!
By the way, this recipe calls for taco seasoning – did you know you can make your own taco seasoning with the ingredients you already have in your pantry? AND … did you know it is cheaper and better for you?
- 2 to 3 boneless chicken breasts frozen
- 2 cans of white beans (I used great northern, and mine were from the freezer -place them in frozen)
- 1/2 onion chopped (this was also already chopped and frozen from my freezer)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1/2 packet of taco seasoning (You can make your own taco seasoning if you want - use 2 Tablesppons)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water or chicken broth (it won’t seem like much but the chicken will create liquid too.)
- Optional: sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and cilantro for topping
- Place frozen chicken in the crockpot. Dump everything else in the crockpot on top.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Place back in crockpot and stir.
- Then serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and cliantro (optional).
- If it is too spicy for your kids the sour cream will help with that. You can also top with some crushed tortilla chips.
Freezer friendly? There are two ways you can do this for the freezer:
- You can place all the ingredients in a freezer baggy uncooked and place in freezer. Then you just dump the freezer bag into the crock pot and turn on low.
- You can cook the dinner and then place the left overs in freezable containers to make an instant soup for you for lunch or a leftover dinner.
I hope your family enjoys it! Happy Eating!