Hold on to your hat! These are the tastiest, easiest, ‘from-scratch’ cupcakes I have ever made. No joke. And yes, I have made a few cupcakes in my day. 😉
There is a super secret ingredient that you will not want to omit! Are you ready for me to let you in on the secret? It’s lemonade! OK, so maybe that isn’t super top secret, but it is unexpected. You will be pleasantly surprised at how this one ingredient can make such an impact on a little ole cupcake.
So, maybe you’re wondering what all the fuss is about. All I can say is, try them! You will be able to whip these tasty treats up in no time and you will wonder why you never made these before. You will want to eat a few. Please don’t. You will undoubtedly get a stomach ache. Don’t ask me how I know. I just KNOW. 😉 I sure hope you and yours enjoy these!!
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can use lemon instead for a little extra punch)
- ⅓ cup lemonade
- cool whip or sprinkles to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F (170 C).
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix butter and sugar together. I used a hand mixer one time and a wooden spoon the next time. Mix however you like.
- Add eggs to the butter/sugar mixture, one at a time.
- Mix in the extract. I used vanilla the first time and the cupcakes were good. If you want a bit more of a lemony punch you can add lemon extract. If you don't have lemon extract, don't go out and buy any! These still taste wonderful if you use vanilla.
- Slowly mix in flour mixture until well combined. Gradually add in lemonade until completely incorporated. You will have a fairly runny batter.
- Scoop into lined muffin or mini muffin pans. For mini cupcakes (makes about 4 dozen), bake for 10-12 minutes. For regular cupcakes (makes 1 dozen), bake for 12-15 minutes. You want to bake until only SLIGHTLY golden brown on top. Don't worry! If you bake a little too long (like I did first), the inside will still be super moist!
- Sprinkle with your favorite sprinkles or top with a dollop of cool whip. These cupcakes are so sweet you will not need frosting. Enjoy!