Homemade Croutons are one of the easiest things to make in the kitchen. Not only are they easy, but they are also very tasty. These actually taste better than the store bought. Are they a money saver? YES!
It took awhile before I tried making my own croutons. I had a partial loaf of bread that was a little too stale for sandwiches and I hate to throw away things I can use, so I finally decided to give it a try. WOW even using just an inexpensive store bread and a few seasonings these homemade croutons were amazing. I don’t know what took me so long. I am convinced – homemade is definitely better than store bought. The best part – you are able to leave out more than a few unpronounceable ingredients.
Try any bread that you like and any seasonings you have on hand. This is my particular favorite flavor combo because Italian croutons are what I always buy anyway. Next time you find older bread on sale or find that your bread has gone stale – buy some to make your homemade croutons.
Make Homemade Croutons in Minutes!
- 6 slices of bread
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Stack bread ( I do 3 at a time) and chop vertically twice and then horizontally twice to come up with 9 relatively even pieces. Depending on the size of your bread and how big you want your croutons you can cut them smaller or larger.
- In a large bowl combine olive oil, Italian Seasoning, and Parmesan cheese, toss bread chunks in bowl until well coated.
- Spread coated bread pieces on a baking sheet and bake in oven that has been preheated to 350° for 15 minutes or until browned.
- Cool and store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Make them in bigger batches if you want.
You can easily double or triple this recipeYou can substitute olive oil for melted butter, and season with just salt and pepper. Maybe a smoky Chipotle seasoning to toss them in would wake up your salad?
Have you ever tried to make your own croutons?