How to Make Homemade Buttercream Icing
Homemade buttercream icing is delicious and way better than store bought icing. However, people tend to think making your own icing is difficult. Surprisingly simple and inexpensive to make this buttercream recipe is the perfect filling and icing for layered cakes , or topping your favorite cupcake recipe. Layer a thin icing on brownies or fill a couple cookies to make a yummy treat.
Homemade Buttercream Icing can take an inexpensive box cake mix from ordinary to over the top. You could also use it to finish off your own cake recipe.
Substitute Almond, Hazelnut, Lemon, Strawberry or any other extract for vanilla for another flavor profile. To pipe icing on using a decorator bag, thicken it by using more powdered sugar, for a thinner icing add more milk.
- 1 stick of butter, softened (do not melt in the microwave, just let it soften on the counter)
- 1-1 lb. box of powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract (I like to use clear)
- In a large bowl cream butter until smooth.
- Beat in powdered sugar (one cup at a time) on low speed until well combined.
- Stir in vanilla, and milk- whip until thoroughly mixed and fluffy on a medium-high setting.
- To pipe - icing on using a decorator bag, thicken it by using more powdered sugar.
- For spreading and covering the cake - add in a bit more milk to make it thinner and easier to spread.
Kitchen tools you need to make this:
I highly recommend getting a kitchenaid mixer to whip up this buttercream recipe, if you don’t have one already. This is my most used kitchen too.
If you need an an lesser expensive tool, you can use a hand mixer too and have this delicious recipe made in minutes.