We love spaghetti at our house! Though it is a staple, I wanted a dinner that was similar, but lighter for the upcoming summer months. Welcome ‘Easy Italian Macaroni & Cheese Dinner’. Not only does this have a wonderful flavor that is light enough for the hottest summer nights, but it is very simple to make. Simple enough that one of my grade-schoolers helped me make it. Enjoy!!
- 1 pound of your favorite pasta (we used small elbows)
- 1 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- dried basil, garlic salt, and pepper adjusted to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
- Prepare your noodles as directed on product package.
- While noodles are cooking, place tomatoes, tomato sauce and onion in a large skillet. Simmer over medium to low for 10 minutes (or until onions become soft).
- Add seasonings to your desired taste. We used 2 teaspoons basil, 1 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer over low for another 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 F (175 C). Spray 13 X 9 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked noodles with 1 cup tomato mixture. Pour about half of the noodle mixture in the prepared dish.
- Top noodles with 1/2 cup tomato mixture, 1/4 cup Parmesan and 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheeses.
- Pour the remainder of the noodles in the dish (do NOT mix). Top with remaining tomato mixture and cheeses.
- Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes or until cheese on top is a soft golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!
If you like this recipe but miss the protein, try adding shredded chicken or ground Italian sausage to your tomato mixture. This will add preparation time as you’ll have to cook your meat ahead of time. You may also need to add another 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Let us know what you think!