Sometimes life is busy …. ok every week life is busy!
To save money my family likes to eat quick meals that we can eat right before a soccer or baseball practice or right when we get home. The meals have to be fast and require very little effort. Crockpot Taco Salads are exactly that. It takes no time at all, and if you have some paper plates or bowls (like we used) then you only have your crockpot to clean.
**Note: I have even put the meat into a thermos and you and your family could actually eat it while at a practice or on the go.
Make sure you try this recipe!
- 1 pound of ground turkey or ground beef (already browned)
- 1/2 onion chopped (optional)
- 1 zucchini shredded (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1 tsp cumin, and 1 teaspoon of Chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of rotel
- 1/2 can of water
- 1 can of beans (we used kidney)
- Optional topping ideas:
- shredded cheese
- crushed up tortilla chips for frito chips
- iceberg salad, sour cream, and salsa are all great toppings!
- Place the browned beef or the browned turkey in the crockpot (Since I brown mine and freeze them ahead, I just toss it in frozen)
- Dump all the other ingredients in the crockpot and allow it to cook on low for 6 hours until flavors are combined.
- That is it - scoop up your mixture and place on top of your crushed tortilla chips and top with anything you would like.
- burritos (just add rice and tortillas)
- Tacos (you don’t have to add the beans