Need a budget friendly soup to keep you warm this winter? Try out our favorite Taco Rice soup! We cook it in the crockpot, so it takes practically no effort to make.
Last week we made tacos and instead of just making enough for one meal, I browned up enough meat for two meals. Instead of making enough rice for one meal, I made enough so we would have left overs. Then I stuck both the extra meat and the rice in the fridge.
That way, I would have it all ready to make this crock-pot soup a few days later. Instead of having to brown and cook rice, I had it all ready in the the fridge. Cook once… eat twice. No one even knew that we were technically having left overs. Sneaky me!
This dinner is easy and delicious! I think this “plan” of cooking once and eating twice just might become part of your menu plan.
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey (browned)
- 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning (or ½ packet of store bought)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can of black beans (or from the freezer)
- 1 can of kidney beans (We make our from scratch)
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of water
- 3 cups of cooked rice
- Shredded cheese and tortilla chips for toppings.
- Toss everything in the crockpot (except for the rice).
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3.
- Right before serving mix in the rice. Let the rice heat up for about 15 minutes in the crockpot.
- Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.
I just love this idea of cooking once and turning it into two meals without anyone in the family knowing. Now I’ll have to figure out what else I can cook in the same way of cooking once eating twice. Any ideas?
Be sure to check out all of our delicious Crock Pot Recipes here.