We made chicken taquitos last night and they were fabulous! I originally got the idea from Pink Parsley, but I (of course) had to change a few things plus I made the filling in the crockpot. Then I just simply rolled them up in corn tortillas and baked them. I made enough for 2 dinners, so I placed half of it in the freezer! One easy night of cooking, turned into 2 dinners! That is my favorite kind of meal. Normally I find taquitos dry and flavorless, but these were full of flavor.
I hope your family enjoys these as much as we do.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast frozen
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Salsa Verde (you could just use regular salsa)
- 3 oz cream cheese (you could eliminate this if you are out)
- Juice from 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons of lime juice)
- fresh cilantro
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- corn tortillas (about 20)
- cooking spray
- In the crockpot, combine chicken, salsa, and all the seasonings.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Once cooked, shred the chicken and stir in the cream cheese, shredded cheese, lime juice and cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Working 3 tortillas at a time, stack them on a microwave-safe plate and cook for 20-30 seconds, or until tortillas are VERY soft and pliable. (this will prevent them from falling apart)
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of filling onto the lower third of each tortilla, and roll tightly. Place seam side-down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Spray the taquitos lightly with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the tortillas are crisp and golden-brown. Serve with salsa, sour cream, and/or guacamole.
- *Note: You could just use left over chicken if you have some. Just mix it with all the ingredients, instead of using a crockpot for the filling.
This recipe also freezes great, meaning you can have a another meal ready to go or an easy lunch. To freeze, prepare them but do not make. Place them on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer until frozen. I left mine in their for about 2 hours.
Once frozen, remove them from the cookie sheet and place them in a labeled freezer bag. Now, you have them ready and frozen individually. To bake, just place them on a cookie sheet, spray with non stick spray and season with salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes (you don’t have to thaw). It is really that easy!
Be sure to check out all of our delicious Crock Pot Recipes here.