We made chicken taquitos last night and they were fabulous! I originally got the idea from Pink Parsley, but I (of course) had to change a few things plus I made the filling in the crockpot. Then I just simply rolled them up in corn tortillas and baked them. I made enough for 2 dinners, so I placed half of it in the freezer! One easy night of cooking, turned into 2 dinners! That is my favorite kind of meal. Normally I find taquitos dry and flavorless, but these were full of flavor.
I hope your family enjoys these as much as we do.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast frozen
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Salsa Verde (you could just use regular salsa)
- 3 oz cream cheese (you could eliminate this if you are out)
- Juice from 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons of lime juice)
- fresh cilantro
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- corn tortillas (about 20)
- cooking spray
- In the crockpot, combine chicken, salsa, and all the seasonings.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Once cooked, shred the chicken and stir in the cream cheese, shredded cheese, lime juice and cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Working 3 tortillas at a time, stack them on a microwave-safe plate and cook for 20-30 seconds, or until tortillas are VERY soft and pliable. (this will prevent them from falling apart)
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of filling onto the lower third of each tortilla, and roll tightly. Place seam side-down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Spray the taquitos lightly with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the tortillas are crisp and golden-brown. Serve with salsa, sour cream, and/or guacamole.
- *Note: You could just use left over chicken if you have some. Just mix it with all the ingredients, instead of using a crockpot for the filling.
This recipe also freezes great, meaning you can have a another meal ready to go or an easy lunch. To freeze, prepare them but do not make. Place them on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer until frozen. I left mine in their for about 2 hours.
Once frozen, remove them from the cookie sheet and place them in a labeled freezer bag. Now, you have them ready and frozen individually. To bake, just place them on a cookie sheet, spray with non stick spray and season with salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes (you don’t have to thaw). It is really that easy!