The other night, I ran out of time for dinner and had to come up with something quick. I had rice in the fridge left over from another meal and then I had my ground turkey in the freezer that I had already browned. After a few minutes of thinking I came up with this meal. Surprisingly, it was decilious. We are calling this one the Taco Rice Bowl, as named by my sweet kids.
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground beef
- 1 "can" of kidney beans (I used frozen -really any kind of bean will do)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (or rotel)
- 1 can of water (just fill up the can)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked rice (brown or white rice)
- shredded cheese to top (optional)
- In a skillet, brown the ground turkey or ground beef.
- Once cooked through, add in the onions and seasonings. Cook until soft.
- Toss in the beans, canned tomatoes, and the water.
- Stir to combine. Let simmer for about 15 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
- Spoon your taco mixture on top of some cooked rice. Top with some cheese.
The results: My kids devoured this one! The practically licked their bowls cleaned they loved it so much. We served it with some salad on the side to make it a complete meal. It was frugal, FAST, and fabulous… just the way I like it.